2 pounds ground beef
1 large onion (yellow or red) chopped
1 large bell pepper (any color) chopped
8-10 cloves garlic diced
1-2 jalapeno peppers diced
2 cans roasted green chilies (they usually come in these little cans)
2 pounds tomatoes diced
1 small can corn
3 cans (regular size) beans (black, pinto, kidney) rinsed
1/3-1/2 cup chili powder
red pepper flakes
2 tbs. hot giardiniera (or marinated jalapenos for nachos)
3 oz. dark beer
chocolate (Hershey’s, dark, bitter sweet, cocoa powder) this is key!
barbecue sauce (I prefer sweet baby rays)
- Sauté the beef until cooked set aside (I like to do this whole process in the pot I will use, but you can do it in a pan as well).
- Drain most of fat leaving enough to cook the onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic. Cook until al dente.
- When these are finished, add the beef back in and add red pepper flakes, cayenne, paprika salt, pepper, and a lot of chili powder (I think I probably use about 1/2 cup, but maybe start with 1/3).
- Mix this around for a minute so everything is coated then add about 1/4 cup of water, diced tomatoes, beer and chilies.
- Add cumin, liquid smoke, soy sauce and turmeric.