Homeopathy is the second most widely used system of medicine in the world. Its growth in popularity in the United States has been around 25 to 50 percent a year throughout the last decade.
This success is fueled by several factors:
- Homeopathy is extremely effective. When the correct remedy is taken, results can be rapid, complete and permanent.
- Homeopathy is completely safe. Even babies and pregnant women can use Homeopathy without the danger of side effects. Homeopathic remedies can also be taken alongside other medication without producing unwanted side effects.
- Homeopathy is natural. Homeopathic remedies are normally based on natural ingredients.
- Homeopathy works in harmony with your immune system, unlike some conventional medicines which suppress the immune system. (For example, cough medicines suppress the cough reflex, which is your body’s attempt to clear the lungs)
- Homeopathic remedies are not addictive – once relief is felt, you should stop taking them. If no relief is felt, you are probably taking the wrong homeopathic remedy.
- Homeopathy is holistic. It treats all the symptoms as one, which in practical terms means that it addresses the cause, not the symptoms. This often means that symptoms tackled with Homeopathy do not recur.
Trends in Homeopathy
- The World Health Organization reports that homeopathy is the 2nd most widely used medical modality for primary healthcare in the world.
- 69% of pharmacy chains stock homeopathic pharmaceuticals.
- Over 500 million people a year receive homeopathic treatment.
- Over 3,000 doctors and health care professionals in the United States practice homeopathy.
- Over 5,000 French physicians use homeopathy in their practice.
- There are over 100 homeopathic medical schools in India.
- In Germany, over 25% of the family physicians prescribe homeopathy.
- 42% of British physicians refer patients to homeopathic doctors.
How Homeopathy is Used
Homeopaths treat the symptoms of a number of chronic conditions. A chronic illness is one that lasts a long time, sometimes for the rest of the affected person’s life. The term chronic refers to time, not how serious a condition is. Examples of conditions for which homeopathy is used include:
- digestive disorders
- period problems
- depression or anxiety
Homeopathic remedies prepared from pathogens or diseased tissues are often used to assist the body in recovering from diseased states. These may include bacterial, viral, fungal or parasitic infestations. Nosodal therapy may also be used preventively as a safe alternative to immunizations.
Sarcodal (Glandular) Therapy
Homeopathic remedies prepared from healthy glandular tissue or constituents are often used to help rebuild organs or biological systems that have been weakened or damaged. Sarcodal therapy serves as a biological blueprint to reset the system and bring functions back to normal.
Homeopathic remedies prepared from allergens or allergen sources are commonly used to treat allergies. In some ways, this is similar to the progressive desensitization of conventional allergen injections, which introduce an allergen to the body in ever increasing concentrations until the body no longer reacts with the cascading histamine reaction. Allergens, which are introduced to the body homeopathically, have the same effect, except they reset the responsiveness at the cellular level (instead of external allergens), interacting with the surface receptors on the over-reacting cells.
Isodal (Detoxosal) Therapy
Homeopathic remedies prepared from any substance which may be contaminating the body or exerting a toxic effect on the living system may help detoxify the body.
Vitamins, minerals and supplements can be prepared in homeopathic potencies and still have a substantial effect on a living system. Research demonstrates that low doses of high quality, natural vitamins function better in-vivo than mega-doses of synthetic vitamins.