Excerpts from an article in the Alternative Medicine Magazine 12/06
Larry Wood, MD, president of the Thyroid Foundation of America say that thyroid cancer – not breast cancer is the fastest growing cancer among women, as well as the fastest-growing type of fatal cancer among men.
The Amercian Cancer Society and other experts cite radiation exposure, especially during childhood as a primary risk factor. Deficiencies in iodine and genetic predisposition to the disease have also been linked to thyroid cancer.
A recent National Academy of Sciences report points out that being exposed to even low levels of radiation as an adult has a cumulative effect and can increase your risk of cancer. Most of our exposure (82 percent) comes from background sources such as solar radiation which increases with altitude (airplane flights). The remaining 18 percent comes from man-made sources, primarily X-rays.
“Our best advice is to scrupulously avoid exposure to radiation in any form as much as possible,” say Richard Shames MD, who along with Karilee Shames, RN,PhD, is author of “Thyroid Power” (Collins, 2002) and “Feeling Fat, Fuzzy, or Frazzled?” (Hudson Street Press, 2005)
The Shameses recommend considering alternatives to traditional mammography, such as thermography, or getting exams at large university medical centers, which often use the newest and lowest-dose machinery. Dental X-rays they say may not be needed as often as dentists like to schedule them. If needed request a lead neck collar to protect your thyroid. Find out about their equipment and if it is older than 10 years take a pass.
Avoid CAT scans when other equally effective alternatives exist.
Other environmental factors may raise the risk of developing thyroid cancer. According to Kaayla Daniel, PhD. CCN, author of The Whole Soy Story” (New Trends Publishing, 2005) the causes appear to be many and synergistic. Radiation, mercury, fluoride, plastics, pesticides, dioxins, solvents, estrogens and estrogen mimickers found in commercial meats, plastics and hormone replacement therapies have all been implicated.
Daniels feels that one of the biggest offenders is soy. Some of soy’s components may block the key enzyme that makes thyroid hormones. Daniel urges people to eat soy in great moderation.
Karen Balistreri’s comments:
Mercury: Eat fish sparingly, especially Lake Michigan fish and ocean fish known for high levels of mercury. Have your mercury fillings replaced to make sure they are not leaching in your body.
Fluoride in tooth paste inhibits the uptake of iodine into the thyroid. Use Dentarome tooth paste because it is a non-fluoridated product.
Chlorine is a great inhibitor of iodine uptake. Give up bleach and use Thieves cleaner.
Read,: “Iodine: Why You Need It And Why You Can’t Live Without It”, by David Brownstein MD.
Products with sea vegetables like kelp give us rich sources of iodine.
( Young Living’s Thyromin), ( Dr. Christopher’s Thyroid Maintenance) or homeopathic Iodine
Plastics release dioxin when microwaving your food. Do not “nuke “food in plastic containers or plastic covering, and besides using a microwave depletes all the enzymes in the food.
Microwave ovens destroy nutrition value of your food. The rise of widespread nutritional deficiencies in the western world correlate almost perfectly with the introduction of the microwave oven.
DRINK from glass bottles, no Styrofoam cups.
For an experiment, place 1 inch of water in one of these cups and add several drops of lemon oil and watch what happens as the oil dissolves the cup in two. Here is another great reason to drink the citrus oils in your water as they help dissolve the plastics in your body.
Buy ORGANIC to eliminate all the pesticides. EAT ORGANIC.
Allow weeds to grow in your lawn, “everyone has to be somewhere”.
AVOID all hormone enriched drugs, birth control drugs and hormone replacement therapy as the hormones are laboratory created or from an animal source, like a horse. Bio-identical hormones are plant based.
Ladies, speak your truth!!!
Open up that 5th Chakra, energy center, and apply the oil blend of Endo Flex over your throat daily and take that kelp enriched product, Thyromin, at night before bed to feed your healthy thyroid.
Karen Balistreri, Certified Aromacologist in Wisconsin
If you would like to learn more about the oils please email Karen Balistreri at email@example.com